Section 199 – Companies Act, 2017
199. Investments in associated companies and undertaking. — (1) A company shall not make any investment in any of its associated companies or associated undertakings except under the authority of a special resolution which shall indicate the nature, period, amount of investment and terms and conditions attached thereto.
Explanation: The term “investment” shall include equity, loans, advances, guarantees, by whatever name called, except for the amount due as normal trade credit, where the terms and conditions of trade transaction(s) carried out on arms-length and in accordance with the trade policy of the company.
(2) The company shall not invest in its associated company or associated undertaking by way of loans or advances except in accordance with an agreement in writing and such agreement shall inter-alia include the terms and conditions specifying the nature, purpose, period of the loan, rate of return, fees or commission, repayment schedule for principal and return, penalty clause in case of default or late repayments and security, if any, for the loan in accordance with the approval of the members in the general meeting:
Provided that the return on such investment shall not be less than the borrowing cost of the investing company or the rate as may be specified by the Commission whichever is higher and shall be recovered on regular basis in accordance with the terms of the agreement, failing which the directors shall be personally liable to make the payment:
Provided further that the directors of the investing company shall certify that the investment is made after due diligence and financial health of the borrowing company is such that it has the ability to repay the loan as per the agreement.
(3) The Commission may—
- by notification in the official Gazette, specify the class of companies or undertakings to which the restriction provided in sub-section (1) shall not apply; and
- through regulations, specify such disclosure requirements, conditions and restrictions on the nature, period, amount of investment and terms and conditions attached thereto, and other ancillary matters.
(4) An increase in the amount or any change in the nature of investment or the terms and conditions attached thereto shall be made only under the authority of a special resolution.
(5) Every company shall maintain and keep at its registered office a register of investments in associated companies and undertakings containing such particulars as may be specified.
(6) Any contravention or default in complying with requirements of this section shall be an offence liable to a penalty of level 3 on the standard scale and in addition, shall jointly and severally reimburse to the company any loss sustained by the company in consequence of an investment which was made without complying with the requirements of this section.